“As a mother comforts her child–so will I comfort you; and you shall be comforted.” Isaiah 66:13
The condescending love of God to sinners is most astonishing. Though He is the High and Lofty One–yet He knows, pities, and cares for worms of the earth–sinful, frail, dying men. Human language is insufficient to express the heights and depths of Divine compassion.
God is called, “The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. Also, “God, who comforts the downcast” 2 Corinthians 7:6
God’s divine comfort is most endearing and effective. “As a mother comforts her child–so will I comfort you.” This is a beautiful and striking comparison. No other relationship can so expressively represent the parental kindness of God, as an affectionate mother caring for her beloved child.
1. God will comfort His people with all the affection and solicitude of a mother. See the mother–how she loves, strives, labors, suffers, and sacrifices for her child.
A mother watches over and defends her child. So does our heavenly Father. He is a wall of fire, a refuge, a strong tower, a shield, a rock of strength, a fortress, a very present help in times of trouble, etc., etc.
A mother is solicitous to care and provide for her child. “And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus!” “Casting all your care on Him, because He cares about you!”
2. God will comfort His people with all the patience and forbearance of a mother. “For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust!” Psalm 103:14. “The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness!” Psalm 103:8
3. God will comfort His people with all the forgiveness and consolation of a mother. How ready is she to forgive her erring, wandering child–and how ready to console in trouble! “The LORD has comforted His people and will have compassion on His afflicted.” Isaiah 49:13
4. God will comfort His people with all the instruction and correction of a mother. A good and wise mother will both instruct and correct. Just so, “the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and chastises every son whom He receives.” Hebrews 12:6
5. God will comfort His people with all the constancy of a mother. When does the love of a mother end? “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget–yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands!” Isaiah 49:15-16. “Having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end!” John 13:1
~ ~ ~ ~
The above quote has been gleaned from William Nicholson’s uplifting 3 page article, “Divine Comfort!“
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Feel free to forward these gems to others who may be encouraged or profited by them!